Delhi: A 13-year-old girl gang raped by eight men, attempts suicide

New Delhi, 21st April: A 13-year-old girl was allegedly gang-raped by eight men has attempted suicide on Saturday. She is in ICU in serious condition, the family said.

The girl, who was abducted March 15 by the men and released after nine days, consumed an overdose of sleeping pills in the morning at her house in Farsh Bazar area in east Delhi.

Four accused were known to her and three of the accused have been arrested, police said on Saturday.

She is admitted at the Hedgewar Hospital in east Delhi. “She is in serious condition,” her mother said. She said that her daughter was upset after watching on TV reports of the brutal rape of the five-year-old girl in east Delhi.

The 13-year-old victim and her 12-year-old brother were abducted by two men known to her on March 15 from outside her house at Farsh Bazar area in east Delhi and taken to Loni in the city outskirts.

There six accomplices of the two abductors joined them and raped the girl in a house, a police officer said. The boy was released the next day.

Police had failed to act on the rape complaint, but were forced to act on the orders of the Karkardooma court, which the family approached April 9 after police reportedly took no action on their complaint.

Three Delhi Police officials, including an Assistant Commissioner of Police, have been suspended for failing to act promptly in the rape case or behaving properly with protesters.

Police claim that the father approached police after she went missing, but did not file a rape complaint after she returned home.

The victim’s family has complained of police apathy in the case. The girl’s family has alleged that police had refused to lodge their rape complaint.

Police arrested three accused – Deepak, 21, Ranjeet (20) and Sohan Lal (24) – Saturday, following medical examination of the victim April 15. A search is on to nab the other accused, the officer added.

The girl’s mother said that her daughter returned home after nine days on March 24. However, police failed to act on the missing person complaint and conduct a search for the girl.

After the girl returned home, the parents approached police to file a rape case, the mother said.

But failing to get any response from police, the family then went to the local court April 9 which then ordered police to lodge a rape case.

Bureau Report

Be the first to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.