Jaipur: 79 students of Government Upper Primary School (Mali Mullaha) in Banera tehsil of Bhilwara district of Rajasthan on Tuesday after consuming contaminated mid-day meal. A dead lizard was found in mid-day meal.
The incident took place at around 10.30 am after the students were served dal and rice as their mid-day meals. The students after having the food complained of stomach ache, cramps and threw up. Later, one student showed the dead lizard to the school authorities in the food served to them.
The officials also informed that a total of 247 students were enrolled in the school, of which, 185 were present in the school on Tuesday. Of these, 79 had consumed mid-day meals.
The school authorities then informed the district administration about the incident and immediately asked all students to stop eating and threw away the entire food.
Subsequently, all students aged between 8 and 15 were rushed to the Community Health Center in Banera.
A committee has also been formed to probe the whole issue and the food has been sent to the laboratory.
Onkar Singh, District collector of Bhilwara said, “79 students were admitted to the hospital after having the poisonous mid-day meal on Tuesday morning, in which a dead lizard was found. All the students are out of danger and have been discharged from the hospital. Only one girl was shifted to a hospital in Bhilwara on the request for her parents after her condition worsened.” He also said that school management did not taste the food before serving it to the students, which was compulsory for them.